Join us on Arbor Day as we celebrate all things trees! Get outside to enjoy the Arboretum’s tree collections, and celebrate the holiday that honors the planting, upkeep and preservation of trees. Complete a Tree Bingo card to get to know trees at the Arb; try Forest Bathing, a nature-based mindfulness exercise; listen to tree stories at StoryTime from the Andersen Horticultural Library; check out the Tree Mob series in the gardens, where experts will share about our living tree collections at the Arboretum, and take home a tree sapling to plant in your yard.
Learn more about the special Arbor Day activities below.
10 a.m.-2 p.m. Tree Mobs
Learn about the Arboretum tree collections from our experts! Every presentation will last 15-20 minutes followed by a 10-15 minute Q&A.
- 10am - Shade Tree Exhibit - Daniel Gjertson
- 11am - Pine Collection - Pete Moe
- 12pm - Apple Demonstration Plots at the Farm at the Arb - Annie Klodd
- 1pm - Crabapple Collection - Alan Branhagen
- 2pm - Oak & Nut Collection - Brandon Miller
10:30 a.m. StoryTime with the Andersen Horticultural Library
Enjoy a special tree-themed story time with your little ones at 10:30 a.m. in the Snyder Lobby! StoryTime is recommended for ages 0-5, but all are welcome.
1-4 p.m. Rare Book Room Tours: Pre-registration Required!
Join the Andersen Horticultural Library as they take you on an exclusive, 30-minute tour of their rare book room!
- Tour Times: Every half hour from 1-4 p.m.
- Capacity: 4 people/tour
- Location: Andersen Horticultural Library
- Price: $5 for members/$20 for non-members
3-6 p.m. Under the Oak
Visit the oldest tree on the Arboretum property (a bur oak that’s over 200 years old) and participate in an outdoor activity hosted by Youth Education!
- Time: 3-6 pm
- Location: Under the Oak Play Yard; located on the southwest corner of the Marion Andrus Learning Center grounds.
5-7 p.m. Forest Bathing: Pre-registration Required!
Experience the woods and trails at The Arb as you never have before! Deepen your connection to the natural world via this intentional, immersive, and meditative guided walk with facilitator, David Motzenbecker. David will guide you on a 2-hour immersive, meditative, and therapeutic forest walk based on the Japanese practice of Shinrin Yoku.
- Time: 5-7 pm
- Location: Sensory Garden
- Price: $32 for members/$47 for non-members
Pick up your Tree Bingo card on the Dahlberg Terrace. Find the featured trees along Three-Mile Walk to fill out your card. When you get a bingo – by marking 5 squares in a row – return to the Dahlberg Terrace to be entered in a drawing for 4 free tickets to a Firefly Viewing Night at the Arb this summer!
Tashjian Bee and Pollinator Discovery Center
Grab lunch at the Eatery
10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tree Giveaway
Continue the Arbor Day celebration at home by planting a tree donated by Cargill by Living Lands & Waters as part of their MillionTrees Project. Since 2007, more than 1.4 million trees have been planted/distributed for MillionTrees across the Midwest.
Free tree varieties available:
- Bur Oak
- Red Oak
- Swamp White Oak
About the tree saplings:
- The trees are bare root saplings and are between 2 and 3 years old
- Most of the trees are 12-18 inches tall (not including roots)
- How to care for your sapling
Stop by the Dahlberg Terrace to pick up your free sapling. Trees will be available on a first come, first serve basis only while supplies last.